[IM] Interviews :: Occupy Chicago :: Doing the Job of the Media
Occupy Chicago is a non-violent, revolutionary democratic organization. We practice democracy internally and we work for a peaceful and radical transformation of the United States into a democracy. We welcome all who wish to join us in this struggle.
We recognize that the system of government in the U.S. is the representative system, wherein the citizens elect a few individuals into political office to rulethe rest of the population. This system is inherently elitist; it is a form of oligarchy and plutocracy–the rule of the few and the rich. It is under this political system that the interests of the elite are promoted over those of the majority of Americans. It is through the representative system that the rich and the big corporations control the economy and our society, thus keeping the mass of the population a permanent underclass. The representative system must therefore be abolished. It must be replaced by democracy, a system of government based on sovereign community assemblies. It is in democracy that the people rule themselves and further their own interests.
Occupy Chicago wholeheartedly endorses the sentiments and values expressed in the following “vision statement” proposed to a general assembly of the original Occupy Wall Street Zucotti Park action:
We Envision:  a truly free, democratic, and just society;  where we, the people, come together and solve our problems by consensus;  where people are encouraged to take personal and collective responsibility and participate in decision making;  where we learn to live in harmony and embrace principles of toleration and respect for diversity and the differing views of others;  where we secure the civil and human rights of all from violation by tyrannical forces and unjust governments;  where political and economic institutions work to benefit all, not just the privileged few;  where we provide full and free education to everyone, not merely to get jobs but to grow and flourish as human beings;  where we value human needs over monetary gain, to ensure decent standards of living without which effective democracy is impossible;  where we work together to protect the global environment to ensure that future generations will have safe and clean air, water and food supplies, and will be able to enjoy the beauty and bounty of nature that past generations have enjoyed.
Any statement or declaration not released through the General Assembly and made public online athttp://www.occupychi.org should be considered independent of Occupy Chicago.
[Approved by the Occupy Chicago General Assembly, 06/08/13]
More from Currents NewsMore posts in Currents News »
- Consider the present state of affairs. When there is a racial event involving Black People the present ”Black leaders” will say ”Black and Brown People” or ”People of Color”. When ‘People of Color” and ”Brown People” have an event, do they say that also? Just asking?Consider the present state of affairs. When there is a racial event involving Black People the present ”Black leaders” will say ”Black and Brown People” or ”People of Color”. When ‘People of Color” and ”Brown People” have an event, do they say that also? Just asking?
- How Your Memory Really Works
- Inmate Shows Appreciation To Ex-Governor
- Tax Tip 2021-52: Do’s and don’ts for taxpayers who get a letter or notice from the IRS
- Understaffed Nursing Homes Put Residents at Greater Risk of Fatal Falls